Feel guilty about drinking a beer or two? Don’t feel guilty. Contrary to what you might expect, moderate beer consumption is actually good for you.
Science has shown that beer can bring many surprising health benefits even though it’s usually perceived as unhealthy. Just remember, we’re talking moderate consumption (one drink per day for women, and up to two for men), not all-night drinking sprees. Here 12 remarkable and surprising reasons to have a beer right now!
- Beer keeps your kidneys healthy. A Finnish study singled out that beer among other alcoholic beverages is better for your kidneys. In fact, each bottle of beer you drink reduces the risk of developing kidney stones by 40%.
- For better digestion. Beer, and especially dark beer, contains up to one gram of soluble fiber* in each 30 cl glass – unlike wine, which doesn’t contain any fiber at all. Fiber plays an important role in intestinal transit (a fiber deficiency can cause gastric and intestinal disorders such as constipation or diarrhea).
- To lower your bad cholesterol. The fiber in a beer can also help reduce your levels of LDL cholesterol, i.e. the “bad” type of cholesterol.
- Increase your vitamin B levels. Beer contains several B vitamins (B1, B2, B6 and B12). A Dutch study found that beer drinkers had 30 percent higher levels of vitamin B6 than their non-drinking counterparts, and levels that were twice as high as those of wine drinkers. Beer is also a generous source of vitamin B12, an anti-anemic factor not found in many foods.
- For stronger bones. A 2009 study concluded that the elevated levels of silicon in beer can contribute to higher bone density.
- A cure for insomnia. Lacto Flavin and nicotinic acid, which are both present in beer, can promote sleep!
- Reduces risk of a heart attack. Beer drinkers have a 40 to 60 percent reduced risk of suffering a heart attack compared with non-beer drinkers.
- Helps prevent blood clots. The ingredients in a beer help prevent blood clots from forming.
- Boosts your memory. According to studies, beer drinkers are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s disease and dementia than non-beer drinkers.
- Combat stress. Researchers at the University of Montreal found that two glasses of beer a day can reduce work-related stress or anxiety.
- Cold remedy. Drinking warm beer is an excellent cold remedy! When barley is warmed up it improves blood circulation and helps you breathe when you feel congested. It also provides relief for joint pain and boosts your immunity. So, how do you prepare it? Heat a bottle of beer in a double boiler and then add four small teaspoons of honey.
- For a beautiful skin. Good news for women! Certain vitamins in beer can regenerate the skin and have a positive impact on pigmentation. Your skin becomes smoother and suppler.
So the next time you drink beer, don’t feel so guilty. Cheers :)