Trending on the web
Amazing feeds from around the world

‎'Her skin looked light, thin and fragile. my hands were bigger than she was. A baby ‎girl born at 26 weeks weighing just 673 grams battle hard, defiles logic and survive

August 31, 2017

A baby girl from Queensland was born too early at 26 weeks weighing 673 grams.

Maydel Quiming delivered her girl in February - three months earlier than her due date.


The baby was placed in an incubator to avoid her delicate skin from splitting.

She lived the first three months of her life in a hospital before she left for home in May.

The mother who gave birth to the odds defiling baby girl at 26 weeks old, weighing just 673 grams takes us down memory lane on how her daughter defeated science and survived.

Maydel Quiming, from Queensland's Sunshine Coast, was quickly hurled off to Nambour Hospital after her water broke three months before her due date.

 After baby Felicity was born way too early via a c-section on February 10, she had to be placed in an incubator to protect her fragile skin.

Little Felicity (pictured) lived in an incubator for three after she was born prematurely.


Maydel Quiming ( with her girl for their first embrace after 15 days away from each other)  discussed how her daughter defied the odds of survival.

'Her skin was thin and delicate. She was only skin and bones.  My hands were bigger than her,' Ms. Quiming narrates to Daily Mail Australia.

'We wanted a natural birth but when her contraction started and her water broke,  an emergency C section had to be conducted.

‘Immediately after her birth, she was taken from me.  I could not hold her, touch or see her.  My spouse was able to see her momentarily before the doctors placed her in an incubator to ensure her survival.

Before she was born, Ms. Quiming and her partner Juan Hopkins were advised to prepare for the worst case scenario.

'she was given  a slim chance of survival.  -  the doctors warned us the journey was everything but blissful – worst case scenario, she might not make it.

'I was terrified. Juan supported throughout this difficult period. He kept trying me to trust and believe in our little girl.

'I felt if labor started too early, I will definitely lose her.  I suffered two miscarriages before Felicity. The thought of losing her broke me into a million pieces. '


The mother-to-be was moved to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital where she remained for about two weeks before giving birth.

Immediately, the baby was laid in an incubator moments after birth to prevent her delicate skin from the tear.

After her birth, Ms. Quiming recounts she was not permitted to see baby daughter till six hours later.

'I peeked through the small window of her incubator,' she recollected.


'I was happy to see her but I also felt like a bad mother because I could not care for her long enough in my belly.  I cried for the whole time I spent there. '

Felicity endured multiple complications ranging from sepsis, stomach bloating and bedsores around her neck and armpits.

'She underwent three blood transfusions and two sepsis attacks which had to be cured with very strong antibiotics,'  Felicity's mum recounts.

'Her tummy suddenly became big and bloated.  The veins became very evident and it looked as if she was about to explode.

‘Sores were all over her neck, armpits because of her fragile skin. Her ears were soft and thin it folded like paper we unfurled them at a four hours interval. We did it that way so they would not get wedged together.'

Joyful family: The 37-year-old mother of her partner Juan Hopkins and their little girl

About 15 days later, the 37- year old mother could finally hold her daughter for the first time.

'There is no word to describe the way I feel right now just holding my baby,' she said.

 Felicity lived the first three months of her life in the four walls of a hospital. Her parents remained with her every step of the way.

'a plethora of tubes were attached to her. She had the love and cared of fantastic nurses.  I felt the hospital was the best place for her at that time. ' she elicited.

'My Juan and I visited and stood by her at least eight hours every day in the hospital. We desired she felt we were there for whenever needed us.

'leaving for home devoid of her in my arms was heartbreaking for the first time.  I wished so much I could hold her, kiss and tell her how much I love her.'

The mother stated her daughter was like a bag of bones after she was born too early.

The turbulent rollercoaster for the family came to a happy end when baby Felicity was permitted to go home with her mother and father after spending 98 days in the hospital.



'her first cry we arrived home made me recognize that she was finally home with us after such long and difficult period. ,' she said.

'She smiles a lot nowadays, knows us and gets all pumped up when we pick her up to play. She still relies on oxygen to breathe, but we are confident those days will soon be in the past.”

'She is perfectly fine now. She moves her head without any hassle, turn over from back to belly, feeds very well – she does everything expected of a three-month-old baby.

‘From the deepest of our hearts, we want to say a big thank you to everyone who supported us throughout this testing period. A big thank you to family and friends that helped us through this difficult time.  In addition, we appreciate the nurses and doctors who took care of our baby girl.

 'Juan has been very supportive throughout this difficult journey. He was my pillar and my forte. I would have crumbled without him.

'We are so delighted that our little Felicity is such an amazing fighter.'


    Like our facebook page and see your result